We the Sea

navbar

Image Map

February 13, 2014

My Favorite Books





























Every since I was able to read I have loved it.  I can remember going to the library almost every weekend when I was younger and pouring over the books on the shelves.  I would walk slowly through the aisles with my head tilted to the side, reading every single title and searching thoroughly for every book that sounded intriguing to me.  My curious young mind was completely enchanted by the words printed on the carefully bound pages in these books.

Growing up books were always my escape.  Anytime I needed something to do, had a bad day, or just wanted to relax, I would pick up a book from the stash piled haphazardly on my bookshelf and just start reading. Getting lost in the mysterious characters and faraway places hidden in the folds of a novel was my favorite thing to do.

As most readers do, I have a few favorite authors that I have been loyal to through the years.  Ever since I picked up their first books I have been enchanted, and almost every book they've written since then I have read.
    
The first author is John Green. Ever single book of his that I have read has been AMAZING. Some of his most popular books have been Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars.  I have read all of his books but the latter, which as most of you know has been made into a movie and will be coming out soon (If you have a copy give it to me now).  

All of his books are unique in their own ways.  An Abundance of Katherines is a book about a teenage boy who has dated 19 Katherines and been dumped by all of them.  Will Grayson, Will Grayson is about two boys with the same name (but utterly opposite lives) that cross paths one night.  Looking For Alaska is about a boy who is shipped off to boarding school and meets a very interesting girl who changes his life.

The second author is Sarah Jio. I just recently discovered her about a year ago when my mom picked up one of her books and passed it on to me. As soon as I read the first few pages of the book, Blackberry Winter, I was hooked.  All of her books usually follow two different time periods, the present and sometime in the past, and the two always end up intertwining in the end.  I have read every one of her books, and they are all incredible. There is mystery, romance, and drama in all of them and they are all unique tales spun by this fantastic author.






And lastly, as a childhood "throwback" of sorts, J.K. Rowling. Obviously most of you have heard of the Harry Potter series, of which I am thoroughly captivated.  I know some people don't agree with the magical aspect of this book, but the underlying themes in ever part of the series are what I really love.  Each book tells a tale of courage, strength, love, and friendship. They inspire you to believe in yourself to the end, stand up for your loved ones, and fight for what is right in this world.  The fact that it takes place in a world of fantasy just adds to the excitement :)

Recently I discovered this quote by author Anne Lamott, which sums up my thoughts on the written word well,

"What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares a paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you.  Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave.  They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die."

So, now that you can't use the excuse of "I don't know any good books!" anymore, go read one. Whether you pick up one of the books I recommended or find one lying in the gutter, just read.  Trust me, you'll like it.

post signature