We the Sea

navbar

Image Map

January 8, 2014

Wanderlust



Just the other day I started a new book entitled "Eat Pray Love".  For those of you who haven't read it, this story is about a woman named Liz who embarks on an adventure to Italy, India, and Indonesia after being dealt some bad cards in life.  She decided to travel to recover from her past, to indulge in the moment, and to find the person she had lost over the past years.

The whole time I was reading this book there was one thought in my head:

 I want to travel

I believe all of us are born with a certain sense of 'wanderlust'.  We are inbred with a desire to leave the places we call home and simply go. This "leaving" may mean venturing across the world, cross-country, or maybe just across your hometown.  Either way, I think we are all meant to leave the comforts of home to explore and dig deeper in order to find out more of who we are.

I have never been out of the country.  I have been lucky enough to travel through many states (mostly by trailer), which has been an amazing experience, but there is something so familiar about this country.  Even while visiting the captivating state of Alaska (if you ever get the chance to go here, PLEASE GO) or the quaint towns tucked away in the mountains of Colorado, everywhere I go I know that there will be people speaking english, a Starbucks around the corner, and an internet connection at my fingertips.  And while I am very fortunate to be able to say this, there is something so enticing about the idea of not immediately having these things.

I want to travel. I always have and I always will.  I want to be in a country where I don't know the people, the food, the landscape, the language.  I want to be pushed out of my comfort zone. I want to be lost in a beautiful place and not desire to be found.  I want to try new things, meet new people, and make memories that will stay with me forever.

I want to travel all over the world, but the one place I MUST visit before I die is Ireland.  There are a multitude of reasons why, but the main reason is because of the movie 'P.S. I Love You' (cheesy, I know).  One of my favorite scenes in any movie ever is a scene within this movie when Holly gets lost in Wicklow Mountains National Park. The setting is the most enchanting place I have seen, with rolling green hills, cloudy skies, and vivid wild flowers lining the road she ambles along.



I think ever since I have watched this movie I have been enchanted by Ireland.  I'm don't know if all of it is pretty as this, but there is something so magical about what I have seen of this far away land.  I know it probably doesn't have as much history as Spain or good food as Italy, but the beauty of this place has captured me from the start and I will always want to go there.

A few other places I really want to visit are Italy, Greece, and Spain.  I've always wanted to go Iceland as well, mostly since watching this music video that is shot entirely in this country.  I just saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty as well (go see this movie right now!!), which completely rekindled my desire to go there!

Lately I have been experiencing wanderlust, and while I can't act on it at this very moment, it is inspiring to know that one day I will go.  Maybe to Ireland, or England, or Scotland, or Italy.  Where it may be, who knows, but I will do it.  I know that for sure!

Whats at the top of your travel bucket list?

post signature